23 February 2009

Final Girl Film Club: A Bloody Valentine to Friday The 13th


If you were wondering, as I was,  just what in Sam Hill this was all about, Marcie's excellent "Kate the Great" impression is a monologue from The Rainmaker, inspired by evaluating oneself in a mirror.   The 1954 Broadway play preceded the 1956 film in which Katharine Hepburn starred.  I'm only guessing, but I imagine many of the actors in this first Friday the 13th were more interested in theater, as they were cast out of New York near the shooting location rather than Hollywood.  I don't think we're likely to see many more Bogart or Hepburn impressions in modern horror! 


The Rainmaker is airing on TCM this Tuesday, March 3rd.   Although Katharine Hepburn has long been one of the women I admire most, I can hardly tolerate this performance through the end of this video clip.  I'll still give it a try, though I'd much rather watch Marcie.
  


I'll be updating this entry with my Final Girl Film Club review, to be completed by the end of March.


0 comments: